Don’t Wait to Become a U.S. Citizen. Our Country Needs Your Vote
October 24th, 2019
Unfortunately it is now well known, that this administration is fraught with corruption, lies and racism, and that it poses severe challenges for immigrants and their families. Yet it is difficult to complain if we do not exercise our right to vote. As voting is a right reserved only for U.S. citizens, it is very important that U.S. resident immigrants apply for U.S. citizenship as soon as possible, when they qualify. To be eligible for American citizenship you must meet the following requirements:
- Have been a Legal Permanent Resident for the last 5 years. (or possibly 3 years if your spouse is a U.S. citizen)
- Be at least 18 years old.
- Have good moral character.
- Have the ability to speak, read and write in English and pass a civics test about U.S. history and government ( See The Citizenship Test: Study materials).
- Have been physically present in the U.S. at least half of the required time as a U.S. Legal Permanent Resident.
- Take an oath of allegiance and swear loyalty to the United States.
When you become a naturalized U.S. citizen, you also gain many of the same rights as if you were born in the U.S., in addition voting rights. For example: you may be eligible U.S. government jobs that are restricted to U.S. citizens, traveling with an American passport may allow you to enter more countries without a visa, U.S. citizens may apply for a green card for additional family members such as married children, siblings and parents, in addition to spouses (legal permanent residents only can petition for unmarried children and spouses) and family members of Citizens will generally have to wait less to obtain their U.S. Residency / Green Card, than family members of U.S. residents.
The average processing time for Naturalization Cases is 6-12 months in Boston. Learn more on our website about the citizenship naturalization process, our immigration legal fees, and Citizenship frequently asked questions.
If you believe you or a family member meet the requirements to apply to become a U.S. citizen, call our office to schedule an appointment at (617) 303-2600 or request an appointment online.
Please forward to anyone you know should be applying for Citizenship. We want all our voices to be heard on this next election!
The FitzGerald Law Company Team