FitzGerald Law Company celebrates its 20th anniversary serving the community
Snapshot of the firm’s legal history helping people with their immigration, criminal, and personal injury matters
BOSTON, MA (November 20, 2017) – Attorney Desmond P. FitzGerald started his own immigration, criminal, and personal injury law office in 1997, only one year after he graduated from the New England School of Law. Back then, the law firm was named the Law Offices of Desmond P. FitzGerald. It was not until 2001 that the firm became known as FitzGerald & Company, LLC and 2015 when they rolled out a new brand and logo with the name that is recognized today: FitzGerald Law Company.
Desmond P. FitzGerald has successfully filed legal actions against numerous government agencies, including the Massachusetts Registry of Motor Vehicles, USCIS for failing to properly and timely adjudicate immigrant petitions, and ICE to stop the detention of an individual with a court case pending in the state of MA.
Significant legal accomplishments include:
- Establishing the rights of step children of U.S. citizens to be recognized as “unconditional” legal permanent residents
- Getting USCIS to accept applications from detained immigrants without a fee
- Successfully suing USCIS for improperly denying work authorization in cancellation of removal cases
- Getting a state criminal court to waive the presence of a defendant who was being held by federal authorities and allowing her criminal case to proceed and be exonerated
- Getting state courts to vacate convictions that were obtained in violation of individual’s rights so they may have a fair trial and to allow immigrants to apply for legal status
- Having the first case of a residency petition approved for a same sex marriage by the US District Court of Massachusetts
- FitzGerald Law Company has also had several important court decisions on its cases published (read more about Desmond P. FitzGerald’s published court decisions)
Through 4 Presidents and countless changes to the law and regulations, FitzGerald Law Company has guided his clients to successful outcomes.
- With former President Clinton, our office grew our immigration practice with the extension of the 245(i) law. This law allowed immigrants who had entered without inspection to adjust their status to legal permanent residency without leaving the U.S. under certain circumstances.
- When former President Bush was in office, the country underwent a time of great uncertainty, both in terms of immigration and financial security. FitzGerald Law Company remained focused on its objective of assisting those in need, and adapted to the financial crisis and the government’s strict attitude towards the immigrant community by tailoring case strategies.
- With former President Obama, a fresh and positive attitude towards the immigrant community resulted in greater opportunities for our clients. The introduction of DACA and I-601A provisional waivers brought new work and education opportunities for immigrants. Additionally, the Obama administration embraced the possibility of administratively closing cases in removal proceedings for qualified candidates, which avoided orders of deportation for a substantial number of people with U.S. Citizen or Permanent Resident family members. Desmond and his team capitalized on this important change in the government’s position, and used it to keep family members together in the United States.
- Today, FitzGerald Law Company is facing the challenges presented by the anti-immigrant policies of Trump administration, using its 20 years of experience to guide clients in the most effective manner, while minimizing the inherent risks.
Throughout its history, the office has also addressed the criminal and personal injury concerns of their clients
Those clients’ concerns are often intimately related to their immigration cases.
- On the criminal front, FitzGerald Law Company has successfully litigated domestic violence, assault, theft, kidnapping, drug trafficking, and attempted murder cases among others; as well as helped clients vacate a prior conviction and re-open their immigration case to obtain their lawful status.
- On the immigration front, the Boston legal firm has helped clients obtain all the different types of visas, waivers (I-601), cancellation of removal, residency and citizenship, as well as defended them from deportation. The firm also won a significant number of immigration appeals, and law suits against the USCIS.
- On the personal injury front, Boston attorney Desmond P. FitzGerald and his legal team have helped clients obtain monetary compensation regardless of their immigration status, for personal injury claims resulting from car, bike, product defects and falling accidents.
FitzGerald Law Company’s focus and ability to obtain results for its clients
Assisting the immigrant community is a personal matter for Desmond, who is the son of Irish immigrants and is married to a Colombian immigrant. Every case is important because Desmond understands the value of a successful immigration, criminal, and personal injury case for the client and his or her family.
“Our focus and ability to obtain results are the reason our clients have continued to spread the word about our services. It has been our pleasure to serve our community for the last 20 years, and with their help we hope to continue to do so for many years to come. We appreciate our client’s loyalty and thank them for the wonderful reviews and for referring their friends to our firm,” explained FitzGerald.
Some clients’ comments shared by The FitzGerald Law Company Team:
Note: These are client excerpts from reviews on third party sites such as Google, Facebook, and Customer Lobby
“The service I received from Fitzgerald & Co. is the best service I have ever received in my life”
“I cannot say enough wonderful things about my experience with the Fitzgerald Law Company. Desmond is straightforward, honest, and incredibly supportive of his clients”
“My experience was exceptionally great. A very well-organized firm, experienced and professional.”
“I’ve been taking my cases to Fitzgerald & Co for about 10 years now. They’re extremely professional, they get the job done”
“The firm is well staffed, Desmond pays close attention to each client, he is detail oriented, timely and efficient”
“After many disappointments dealing with many lawyers in criminal and immigration issues, Fitzgerald law company is one of the best law firm teams in New England. Fitzgerald brand is synonymous of professionalism, honesty, confidentiality and quality services”
“Personally, I feel like they are angels sent from above to represent the voiceless”
“I highly recommend Fitzgerald & Company, because when my family and I lost hope for my Immigration case, we foundthis lawyer and our hope turned into beliefe, we never felt so secure in our case”
“Attorney Fitzgerald is an amazing immigration attorney. He not only understands the law and systems, he understands his client’s emotional needs as well. That is rare in a lawyer”
About Desmond P. FitzGerald:
Attorney Desmond P. FitzGerald is the Principal and Managing Director of FitzGerald & Company, LLC in Boston, MA. He is a criminal and immigration litigator and has successfully litigated hundreds of immigration cases in Federal court. He has more than 20 decisions published and many of them have created precedent. Attorney FitzGerald is admitted by the Bar to practice law in MA, NH, FL, and Washington D.C. and he is an active member of the American Immigration Lawyers Association (AILA) and the National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers (NACDL). For more information, visit http://www.fitzgeraldlawcompany.comand www.fitzgeraldlawcompany.com/espanol/.