Personal Injury and Immigration- Frequently Asked Questions(FAQ)

1. I am an undocumented immigrant in the U.S., will I get in trouble if I bring a claim if I have been injured/hurt in a motor vehicle accident, a fall, or by a defective product or a dog bite?

If a person has a right to bring a claim because they have been injured by the negligence of another in an accident,the law generally does not discriminate against persons because of their immigration status.

2. What happens if I need to go to court because of a personal injury or accident and I am an undocumented/illegal immigrant?

In civil proceedings to obtain lawful compensation as a result of an accident by the negligence of another, one’s immigration status should not be relevant to the claim or proceedings and all individuals in the US have the right to access our justice system regardless of their immigration status.

3. What happens if my car insurance is in another person’s name because I am an undocumented immigrant, can I still bring a claim due to a car accident?

If you are not responsible for the accident, you may be able to bring a claim, however, if the insurance company providing coverage for your vehicle determines that the policy is not valid because of the improper use of a third party name in the policy, there may be limitations as to coverage and compensation.


The information contained in this document is general in nature and subject to change at any point in time. As such, it may not necessarily apply to all situations. Therefore, under no circumstance it should be construed as legal advice. Please ensure that you consult with an attorney regarding your specific situation before starting a legal process.

For more information about immigration alternatives and legal processes, call our office at: 617-303-2600 (ext. 0) for an initial consultation with one of our experienced immigration lawyers in Boston, MA.

StatisticsReview of Fitzgerald & Co
twitterfacebooklinkedingoogle plusyoutube