Citizenship and the right to vote in the General Elections in November
June 17th, 2016
It is getting closer to the next General Elections that will be celebrated in November, this year, and this always reminds to the immigrants that only the American Citizens have the right to vote in federal elections.
In addition to the right of vote, being a naturalized citizen gives you many of the same rights as if you were born in the United States, for example: working for the government, travelling with an American Passport which allows you to enter in more countries without a visa, the opportunity of apply for other types of immediate relatives like siblings and parents ( residents only can petition for children and spouses) and the benefit of a shorter waiting time to obtain Residency or Green Card for family members when the petitioner is a U.S. citizen a opposed to a U.S. resident.
Generally, the person has to meet the following requirements in order to apply for Citizenship:
- The applicant must have been a Legal Permanent Resident for the last 5 years (or 3 years if the spouse is a Citizen) and has maintained the residency continuously.
- The applicant must be at least 18 years old.
- The applicant must have had a good moral conduct
- The applicant knows how to speak, read and write in English and must pass a test about U.S. history and government ( See The Citizenship Test: Study materials)
- The applicant must have been physically present in the U.S. at least half of the requisite time as resident.
- The applicant must swear loyalty to the U.S. by taking an oath of allegiance.
Right now in Boston, the average processing time for Naturalization Cases is 4-6 months and the process is comprise of 3 steps. Your can learn more on our Website about the process, our immigration legal fees and the U.S. Immigration Service fees.
If you think that you meet all the requirements to apply for U.S. Citizenship, call our office to schedule an appointment today at (617) 303-2600 (ext. 0). or clic here to request an appointment online. We can also help you or your family members with any legal problem in the areas of Criminal Defense, Personal Injury or any other Immigration Process
The FitzGerald Law Company Team
Successful track record serving the Massachusetts Community for over 20 years with all their legal needs in Immigration, Criminal and Personal Injury Law