TPS is ending… Act now to identify your options!

Dear friends:

As you know, on January 8, 2018, the Department of Homeland Security announced the termination of TPS for El Salvador. The termination date is delayed until September 9, 2019. This decision affects around 200,000 Salvadorians who have been living in the United States since at least 2001.

Given the 2019 termination date, now is the time for all TPS beneficiaries from El Salvador to explore their different options and prepare a long-term plan with the help of an experienced immigration lawyer. The Department of Homeland Security has announced that the re-registration period for TPS holders from El Salvador started on January 18, 2018 and will continue through March 19, 2018, and it is important that TPS beneficiaries don’t miss the re-registration deadline.

It is important to know that some TPS holders may be eligible to apply for Permanent Residency (Green Card) through marriage, family, or employment. The question is: how can I do this? Imagine that you are a TPS holder and one of your U.S. Citizen children is close to turning 21 years old. If you have applied for a travel document I-131 (“advance parole”) that allows you to travel outside of U.S. and re-enter, or you have already traveled with an approved advance parole, you might be eligible to adjust status in the U.S. when your 21 year-old child petitions for you.

In addition, TPS beneficiaries who have been involved with a removal proceedings case and received TPS after that, and those who have had a criminal charge, should have their cases carefully reviewed by an immigration and criminal defense lawyer, as their cases may require additional legal procedures.

Another question that you might have is: Can I still apply for Advance Parole even though DHS has announced the termination of TPS? The short answer is yes, but as with any application, each case requires a thorough evaluation to determine if an application for advance parole is likely to be successful or if it is the appropriate action for your case.

If you or any member of your family have TPS and you think that you may be eligible to apply for the residency through your family, marriage or employment, please call to our office located in Boston, Massachusetts, at 617-303-2600 (ext. 0) or schedule your appointment online


Desmond P. FitzGerald,
And the FitzGerald Law Company Team

Successful track record serving the Massachusetts Community for over 20 years with all their legal needs in Immigration, Criminal and Personal Injury Law

Read Previous Newsletters

StatisticsReview of Fitzgerald & Co
twitterfacebooklinkedingoogle plusyoutube