4. If I am in removal proceedings, can I renew my work authorization?

In some situations you can. For example, if you were:

  1. Paroled (or permitted to enter) into the U.S. for the purpose of applying for asylum.
  2. If you have an asylum claim pending, for which you were previously issued employment authorization.
  3. If you are eligible for TPS (Temporary Protected Status)
  4. If you have a residency petition through employment.
    (Note: while you are eligible, the Immigration Service may refuse to issue work authorization, as the regulations have not clearly defined the procedure.)

5. If I have an order of deportation, would I still be eligible for any immigration benefits?

The first step to this analysis would be to determine whether or not the order of deportation could be changed. The law allows a person who has been ordered deported by an immigration judge the opportunity to have that order of deportation reviewed and vacated. If changing the deportation order is not possible and the individual has, or will have, an approved visa petition, then he/she can file a “request for admission after deportation” (form I-212).

6. If I have been in the U.S. for a long time can I obtain a green card or residency?

Yes, if you are eligible for a cancellation of removal case. Please read more information on eligibility, process and necessary documentation for these types of cases on our web page for Cancellation of Removal


The information contained in this document is general in nature and subject to change at any point in time. As such, it may not necessarily apply to all situations. Therefore, under no circumstance it should be construed as legal advice. Please ensure that you consult with an attorney regarding your specific situation before starting a legal process.

Watch video: Deported from the USA? You may still remain in the US

StatisticsReview of Fitzgerald & Co
twitterfacebooklinkedingoogle plusyoutube